Monday, August 3, 2009

Fair Prizes!




This was my first attempt to enter anything into the Ozark Empire Fair (well, actually, it never occurred to me to enter at all). This year I decided to give it a whirl, and low and behold, I won some ribbons! My three entries are pieces that I designed, and each has some personal significance. The "Nighttime Garden Fox" was created as the result of a family of fox pups being raised in a den right outside our home. We were just enamored with this little family of three adults and five pups. We watched as they played around the woodpile, learned to hunt squirrels, and finally left. The small mat "My Backyard" is sort of a little impressionistic piece loosely based on looking from the bedroom window over our backyard. I started it one snowy day attempting to use only scraps of wool, ribbon, and yarn. It's actually one of my favorite hooking projects so far. The girl under the arch I've called by two different names; "Connected" and "Reside". In either case, I am referring to my deep feelings of being connected with all living things equally (notice, I added the fox). I'm tickled to have won these ribbons, and am on to other hooking projects. Hooking like mad at the moment trying to get my hydrangea bag finished. Just about done with the hooking, then on to assembly. Watch for a post soon! Thanks for letting me brag a bit about my little fair ribbons.....

6 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Congratulations, Dulcy!! A little bragging is perfectly okay ~ I love your work and obviously, others do as well!!! It's always nice to have confirmation that what we do has value to somebody besides ourselves!!!

summersundays-jw said...

Yea!!! I always knew you were a winner. My 98 yr. old aunt still has her fair ribbons attached to her quilts. Don't you wonder if 100 yrs. from now someone will be taking your work to Antiques Roadshow to see what the value is. I'll be they will. Congrats! Jan

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh, I'm so excited for you!! Congratulations!! Of course you won.

Kim said...

Congratulations. The rugs are beautiful. Enjoying your blog very much.
Kim

Unknown said...

congratulations, I think it is great that you are entering your work, and even greater that you are winning ribbons.
Keep rug hooking exposed to as many people as possible.
Great job

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Congrats!!! Of course you know what I would have awarded them ~ especially the Fox design ~ absolutely Fab!!!

Simple Pleasures During Confusing Times

Such complicated and confusing times we’re living in these days. Do I go out or stay in? Mask all or some of the time? Travel?! It’s all so...