Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Outside My Kitchen Window


This little mat is finally done (although, I do have some work to do on the back). I really don't know where it will go, but that's always a problem with me. I get an idea that has nothing to do with any special spot for it in my home, draw, start grabbing wool, and generally begin to create my work while making a huge mess that pretty much surrounds my working area until I'm done. But, my house is quite eclectic and there's usually a place for just about anything. I'm getting ready to draw off my next piece. It will be a larger rug that will have it's own spot, and actual color planning is involved! Oh.......a moment to explain my color choices on this piece and several of my other picture rugs. I start with an idea in my head of a place I'm fond of that I would like to create pictorially with wool. These spots, so far, are around my home. As for color, there's usually a piece of wool in my cupboard that just keeps calling me. In this case, it was the bright greens I used for the ground. Everything else revolves around that. I have a very hard time staying with softer primitive colors, but for my next rug I'm hoping to use a calmer color palette. We'll see what evolves..........

6 comments:

Cathy G. said...

Really nice little mat Dulcy! Do you dye your own wool? Your colors are so vibrant. I just started dyeing and it's hard to break away from the primitive colors. I am really in the mood to try some colors with some LIFE! I need to get to the dye pots I think! LOL Can't wait to see your new rug! Cathy G

Kim said...

Very fun little rug. I'm having a similar inner-struggle with colors on my current project. Soft pink apple blossoms with a pale blue sky background. The more I hook in the background the more concerned I get. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Beth Anderson said...

I love it - I hope you find a special place for it.

I can't wait to see what the next project will be. Keep us posted.

A Wild Thing said...

I love the fact that your patterns emerge from your surroundings, just think what the Grand kids will say of these projects when handed down...my wonderful Grandmother made this, it's the view from her kitchen window...

I love that, don't you!!!

sharon

Karmen said...

Wonderful! Karmen

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Dulcy ~ I love this whimsical piece! The colors are dancing with each other ~ how fun! I cannot wait to see which window you will look out next in your fabulous rug designs!

Simple Pleasures During Confusing Times

Such complicated and confusing times we’re living in these days. Do I go out or stay in? Mask all or some of the time? Travel?! It’s all so...