Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Inspiration Abounds!

It's not hard to find inspiration these days.... color and active wildlife are right outside my window.  This morning a huge raccoon was breakfasting from my "squirrel proof" bird feeder.  It was sitting right smack dab in the birdbath with the edge of the feeder in it's little "hands".  I knocked on the kitchen window, and the masked bandit looked at me like, "Can I help you?" with no intention of ending it's feast!  It finally jumped down and sauntered away...... I know it's just a raccoon, and we've got several living in our wooded world, but I always feel humbled by their tenacity and cleverness.  I must admit that I enjoyed watching it eat for just a bit before it took it's leave.

Back to other inspirations.....I was so excited yesterday when I got home to find a package waiting for me that I was looking quite forward to receiving!

These awesome cards made by Jennifer of Ripplespeak.  Her's is one of my very most favorite blogs... Jennifer is not only a gifted artist, but her poetry is so moving.  She writes from her heart.... and her words are just so completely sincere.  The package contained not only the cards, but other little happies such as the basil seeds and a pressed flower.  Really..... check out her blog, and I'm sure you'll become a regular.  I always find inspiration from her work..... here's a little card of hers I sat on my mantle along with my Julie Whitmore "flutterby"cup, and one of my mom's amazing Ukrainian eggs.

Other recent sources of inspiration have found their way into my mailbox.....

A new Gudrun Sjoden catalog, and the most recent issue of "Selvedge".  I love to drool over the bold prints by Gudrun.... and "Selvedge" is always packed full of wonderful photos and articles about fiber and design.

I'm currently loving the sort of shabby, dusty blue that I used on this bag I made almost two years ago.  It's been such fun to bring it out again for spring. It's gotten just enough wear to make it soft and give it a used look that I love. I always feel inspired when I get out items I love that have been put away for awhile.

I'm using this same shade of blue for the background of my never ending spring/summer rug.  Before making a large hooked rug, remember that you're going to be hooking background FOREVER!

I have not been working on my pastel at all this week, but tomorrow I''m planning to give it lots of attention, and maybe, finish it.

I hope that you're finding lots inspiration in your world........ the redbuds here are just starting to pop!!
xo
dulcy



12 comments:

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

I love, love your bag. You are so right about the background...I'm currently living it, but it's peaceful at the same time. Thanks for the blog review for Ripplespeak...I look forward to checking things out over there. I'm enjoying your blog very much!
Courtney

Amy McPheeters said...

Hi Dulcy! Thanks for the dose of inspiration! I'm so glad you chose to go with the sky blue for your background - thanks also for showing us a little peek of it today! Did y'all get that snow a few days ago? Of course it is gone now, but it is always fun to see daffodils and redbuds with snow on them.

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

You find inspiration everywhere! Mine is more subtle ~ I need to OPEN my eyes to what is around me!! I get inspired by fibers! We have no blossoms to look at ~ some daff buds coming ~ we're waiting for spring!!!

Jennifer Richardson said...

dulcy!
Swooning over your kind words.
Honored, grateful and grinning
to think of my little bright
happily perched on your mantle.
So glad they've found a home
among the beauty that is you
and your artful life:)
From the bottom of my heart,
much thanks.
-Jennifer

Julia said...

Dulcy, I always love visiting your blog. You always bring such a sense of gentleness to your way of life and surrounding that is so refreshing and calming at the same time.

I love your Ukrainian egg very much. I always wanted to pain some but never had the time to take the course. Maybe some day.

You post is very inspirational and your surroundings are beautiful. JB

Cathy G. said...

Dulcy,
Thank-you for such an uplifting and beautiful post. I love coming here to see what you are creating and finding inspiration from. I love Gudrun's and have been trying to get them to send a catalog, no luck yet but I do check the website for a lift once in a while.
I really love the Ukrainian egg painted by your Mom!
Enjoy the warmer Spring weather and keep us posted on that lovely rug!
Hugs!
Cathy G

Tammy Burks said...

As always, beautiful and inspiring! Loving the birdhouse and bird....so you!

Kathryn Glover said...

i love your post...so poetic...and glad you let the raccoon feast a little. Poor one was hungry. Your rug seems to be coming along and I love your choice of light blue for the background. I wanted to comment about photography used for my art. I'll make it brief. I was trained, and it is so drilled into my brain, to only use photos for reference. I've tried using them before with not much success. I, personally, have to see in 3D, then go through the translation process in my brain to work in 2D. My eyes don't lie....sometimes misunderstand, though, but more often know what they see. I cannot read photos too well to understand their depth. nuff said!

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Ducly, that bag is wonderful. Those handles really are a great addition. I'm heading over to the Selvedge website after going first to see those great cards. Thank you for the links!
xx
julie

Pixie said...

I just think your rugs and bags are the most beautiful i have ever seen, and i just want them all, i am so pleased i found your site, truly inspiring. Pixie x

Pixie said...

Dulcy thank you sooooo much for dropping by at my wee nook, and for your very kind comments, really good to meet another like minded person. And i have to say again that your bags and rugs are just so beautiful i am especially keen on the fox rug and your blue bag in this post, quite envious i am. xx Pixie

Ragamuffin Gal said...

This post is a wonderful read Dulcy! I have enjoyed the stories and the inspirational colors and pictures so much! Looking forward to next weekend! Spring Blessings ~ Katie

Simple Pleasures During Confusing Times

Such complicated and confusing times we’re living in these days. Do I go out or stay in? Mask all or some of the time? Travel?! It’s all so...